Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Props to the Pups!

On Sunday, we played softball at the Bryn Mawr fields. It was late in the day and I was having a weird day... kinda lazy, kinda hazy... Just didn't have my heart into playing that day.

Got to the fields around 3pm. Some of the Bad Puppies had already arrived and most were on their way. I was just hoping to get 9 so we could still play our games. I lucked out and got 11. WOOT!

I was most worried about Dennis (who BETTER play next year). He's our 'full-time' pitcher and with good reason. He's INCREDIBLE and with the second choice for pitcher being me... ummm... Yeah... Don't need to go there!! I hadn't heard from him in the week, so I was crossing my fingers that he was planning on coming. Working in the restaurant business, things come up and I just hoped that it wouldn't happen today.

We were scheduled to play the Raptors and the Biohazard. The Raptors are a team that's been in the league for a couple of years and has some fairly good players on it. They tend to be on the cocky side and since they won our last encounter... We had a score to settle.

Also, one of their players (Alex) and I have this little competition thing going on. Not sure how or why it developed, but it's there... He was SO proud of their win and assumed they'd have the same chance against us this past Sunday. (I also found out that he was CONFIDENT they'd beat us)

The game started out as usual: me deferring the coin toss and winning the home field. I seem to be able to defer my shitty luck onto other people for a split second. Maybe I should become a super hero, UNLUCKY-MAN!!

Anyway... I was at shortstop, moved Mickee to 2nd and played Tim at 3rd. The outfield was solid, so I wasn't TOO worried and we also had Dennis tossing some FIRE across the plate. We help them well each inning... Letting only 2 or 3 in each time. Then we kinda let it slip... One inning put us behind. I was getting frustrated (because I couldn't get my glove on the ball to save my life) and had an outfielder bad-mouthing me because of it...

SMACK! Grounder nailed right too me. I stop it, snap it over to Mickee (a little higher than usual so hard to catch)  and he can't catch it... it falls to his feet.

Now, being the trooper he is, he sticks with it and scrambles to get the ball... CRACK!! The runner from first makes it to second and accidentally knees Mickee in the head!!

Down he goes, flat onto his back... He was silly for a while, but started to worry me when he was twitching... Luckily James form the other team is an EMT (or something like that) and rushed right over. He was just trying to get Mickee to calm down at first, but I don't think Mickee could control his body... It was in panic mode...

After about what seemed like 10 minutes, we got him up and off to the sidelines to rest in the shade. Poor guy was so scared. He mentioned that he knew he was ok, but it was scary not to be able to control your body of a little bit... YIKES! That'd be tough!

So... Now we're out for blood! Bad Puppies just became SCRAPPY!!

Bottom of the 5th... We tied it up! Since we have an hour time limit on our games, we had to do the tie breaker rules. Last at bat starts on second base and there are no outs. Somehow, they get 2 in... Not sure how, but they did it...

Bottom of the 6th... Bad Puppies turn. Same rules: Last at bat starts on 2nd; Tim is on 2nd. Carlos steps up to the plate and smacks the ball. Shortstop fumble and Carlos is safe at 1st. Corneilus is up to bat. Somehow gets out. Trixie (our lead-off) steps up and SMACKS the ball over the right-center fielder's melon!!

WOOT!!

The second games was a slaughter, so I won't detail that one out of respect for the Biohazard. I hit two homeruns and one Grandslam... I think 2 of those were in the same inning...

Anyway! WAY TO GO PUPPIES!!

 

 

 

 

No comments: