Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Dating-schmating

I'm done...

I'm going to resolve myself to that fact that I will be single for some time. Well, at least until I become independantly wealthy. Then the men will be FALLING over me.

I guess I'm just frustrated that a 'date' must include spending money. Why can't a guy just agree to take a walk around the lake as a date? It that so wrong? What about a picnic in the park? Window-shopping at a mall or around some cool shops at 50th and France?

I've also had some encounters with the wealthier segment of the gay community. Most are fairly grounded, but it seems that they don't understand why I cannot afford a weekend trip to Montreal, Toronto, San Fran or D.C.. *sigh*
 
I've been chatting with a man who does well for himself, but also has made comments about not being able to deal with someone who has to live paycheck to paycheck. This is also one of the guys who speak about spending money on every date. I asked him about a 'free' date or at least a 'budget' date and he kinda scoffed at me... WTF?

I also have some hang-ups on money... I went out with a successful real-estate agent who had a closing that morning where he made $36,000 in comission. I hate to say it, but that's almost what I make in a year. I was VERY intimidated. Still am.

It this stupid? Am I just being a dork and I need to suck it up and deal? Why is money so important?

 

 

 

3 comments:

A BOY & HIS TOY said...

I understand what you're saying totally, I don't think it has anything to do what you spend on for a date just as long as its a good date. JLo said it best "Love don't cost a thing" course I shouldn't be using JLo for love/date advice.

Wow guys up there sound like snobs when it comes to dating, or maybe its around me too and I just hadn't noticed.

-Jason

Smitty said...

LOL

Who's the boss ROCKED!!

I had a crush on Tony Danza tho, so that prolly helped.

Warren said...

You know, the best dates are the ones that are free. There is no worries about who will pick up the Tab, or who should for that matter. You are right the walks along the beach, the strolls down the main drag downtown, its those moments you really get to know a person for who they are, not what's in their pocket!

Cheers to you! And to all the other gay men who finally got it right, and understand that its all about two hearts not two chequebooks.