Thursday, September 16, 2004

Good Reads

Ok... I need the help of my blogger friends. I have an issue with reading. I don't do it anymore because I find it VERY difficult to retain what I've read and I read REALLY slow. At the last test I was at an 8th grade reading level (and my writing is horrible; I SUCK!). I know I've improved, but I have HUGE problems remembering details about books.

Here's where y'all come in! I need some advice and recommendations of books that are not too lofty (big words) and aren't 500 pages long. Maybe a good book of short stories. I have read all of the Stephen King short stories (don't you DARE ask me the details) and those were good. I felt some accomplishment when I finished one.

I have interests in: Nature, science, camping, softball, some politics, video games, computers, travel... For fiction, I think I'd enjoy: Horror, Fantasy (dragons and magic stuff), science fiction, etc..

E-mail me, or leave me a comment on some books to check out. Thanks!!

7 comments:

A BOY & HIS TOY said...

Ever thought about inspirational books? I just started THE GAME OF LIFE and its not so thick, about 75-100 pages (if even that). Speaking of books, don't you miss those books that you could pick what you did as the main character and you'd turn to whatever page and so on? Good luck, -Jason

Anonymous said...

Reading's always easier when it's a topic you enjoy. Here are some of my current reads (I always have a few books I read at the same time... in case I get bored with one or the other):

"Our Lady of the Forest" by David Guterson

"Roanoke: Solving the Mystery of the Lost Colony" by Lee Miller

"1421: The Year China Discovered America" by Gavin Menzies

"My Life" by Bill Clinton

These are all rather easily digested works (albeit the Clinton tome is super long).

Happy Reading!

Wanda Wisdom

Moby said...

I'd hate to see what Wanda calls heavy reading. Stick w/fantasy and scifi to get you motivated then switch to the heavy hitters.

The Rohan series by Anne Mccaffrey (and that other lady)
The Necroscope Series by Brian Lumely (truly gruesome at times but couldn't put it down)

Those two are about 12 books total and should keep you busy for a while

Anonymous said...

I read really slowly too. I agree that short stories a good route to go. Try some of the "Best American..." series; there are different ones for travel, mystery, etc. Or good magazine writing, while it may not have the sense of accomplishment of finishing a big book, can be worthwhile. Lastly, I'm rediscovering the library: lots of good browsing without the commitment of buying anything. ;) —Jeff.

Anonymous said...

currently reading

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers
i think you'd enjoy that

rereading the Harry Potters - started the last one. Huge books, but easy fast reads. Fascinating really that these are books both adults and kids read. Very magical.


ps: long time no write, hope you're good

-AnonyDebb

Anonymous said...

I know the movie was/is out, but I enjoyed Mystic River by Dennis Lahane. If you've already seen the movie, the book goes into much more detail and is still a great read. - Michelle N

Anonymous said...

You should give the "His Dark Materials" trilogy a go. 3 books by Philip Pullman, lite sci-fi fantasy, fast reads.

~riye
www.thischarmingman.com