Friday, November 12, 2004

My Game a.k.a Geeking Out #2

So... for the past two nights (since CM needs to be at his house with Niblets -- bonding time, ya know) I have been playing my game.

In this game you can have different jobs which give you different abilities. Some of these jobs you need to complete a quest in order to be allowed into the order.

I chose to chase after the Summoner job. A Summoner is a character whose life is devoted to connecting to the elemental beings that govern the powers of Vanad'iel. Instead of casting magic they call upon these beings to fight by their side and as the character gains in experience, so do the summons. They get special powers and enhanced attacks. They become a VERY powerful ally.

So, the quest requires you to be at least level 30 in one of your jobs and then you need to find Carbuncle's Ruby. It's a VERY rare item that certain leeches around the world will drop. These leeches are EXTREMELY stingy when it comes to these Rubies, so it's a difficult and time-consuming task.

I set-out on my own with my White Mage/Thief combo to try and get a ruby. I chose some leeches that we're fairly easy and fought for about a half hour. The battles took WAY too long and then I'd have to heal after every one. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't get ANYTHING to drop from those bitches...

I asked a level 45 Thief to help me out. Higher-level Theives have a skill called Treasure Hunter 2. This makes rare items drop more often. Not only that, she could sneak up behind the leeches and kill them in one shot!!

I was SUPER lucky that she wanted to help!! She had a couple friends online that she talked into helping us out too! A Dark Knight who would take 2 swings and kill anything in the area and a level 65 Thief who could take on multiple leeches at one time!

After about 45 minutes of fighting Poison Leeches on the beach, a Ruby finally dropped. I about crapped my pants!! I had heard stories of people fighting for DAYS to try and get these things...

Once you get the Ruby, you have to go to the Home of the Hero and he tells you how to unlock the power of the Ruby. He tells you that you need to collect the 7 'lights' of the world before the Ruby can be useful.

This part was easy: I just had to enter areas that had a weather effect going on. Raining, sunny day, scorching heat, windy, dusty day, thunder and lightning, and ice...

I was cruising around and getting the 'lights' VERY quickly... and then came ice. To get the last 'light' I had to travel to Beaudicine Glacier. The Pass to the Glacier is probably one of the most difficult areas to get through in the entire game.

Now, I know what areas to go through to get there, but I do not know the EXACT path... again, I need help. I asked for help in town and no one replied... I waited... I asked again and two small Tarutaru responded. A level 44 Red Mage named Mango and 45 White Mage named Spot who have both been on the quest before.

Spot teleported us to the Crag of Holla and we continued via Chocobo (giant yellow chicken) to the Pass. Here we had to cast Sneak and Invisible the ENTIRE way through the cavern because everything was so difficult. The travel took about 15 minutes.

Once we reached the Glacier I anticipated having to wait for the ice weather effect to happen, but I didn't have to. It was already in effect when we got there and I got my last 'light'!! The Ruby told me to go to La Thiene Plateau and find the Stone Circle.

I had thought I would be on my own at this point and had purchased a scroll that would take me back to town and I'd have to travel ALL the way back to the stone circle on foot. Spot insisted on teleporting me to La Thiene Plateau and taking me to the Circle.

I placed Carbuncle's Ruby in the middle of the circle and a GREAT cut-scene ensued. I become a Summoner and I now have the ability to call upon Carbuncle (he looks like a big, blue squirrel) to fight by my side!!

WOO HOO!

I don't even know if I'll ever use this job, but it sure was fun doing the quest!!

Peace!



1 comment:

DPKY said...

i love that you love games!!!

it's good to be an addict.

I am a Gamecube owner, and a Pikmin 2 fanatic!

Yay for big blue Squirrels.