Wednesday, February 16, 2005

A Day at the Gym

OK... I know someone, somewhere wrote the gym rants were 'SO 2004' but I need to get this out in the air... It's more a story than a rant, but it kinda of encapsulates my fortune/misfortune.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last week, I headed to the gym on a Thursday afternoon a little later than normal. I get there and head into the upper locker room because I prefer not to shower with the kids who come in for swimming lessons. That wierds me out.

When you walk into the upper locker room, it kind of splits in two. To the left is the larger portion of the lockers, the showers, sauna and steamroom. To the right is a bathroom and a smaller section of lockers where I usually make my home.

I'm not one for exhibitionism and tend to be rather modest so I seek the seclusion of the little locker room. There is an understanding with the regulars of the afternoon that I have the last locker on the second row (left-hand side) and I expect at least one locker in between me and any other person. I've been at the gym for a while and I have just asked people to move. :-)

Anyway, I go about my business and Thursday is a 'chest' day, so I got a pretty good workout in but didn't give myself enough time to sit in the sauna.

I hurry and take a quick shower and head all the way across the locker room back to my area. I'm almost done getting dressed when he walks in...

He's about 5' 10', 150lbs, shaved head, goatee, scrawny veiny limbs and has an aura of icky-ness. I've seen him around before, actually chatted with him a bit (he's a chatty-cathy), and usually tried my hardest to avoid him at all costs.

He comes sauntering back into my area of the locker room and says, 'So, this is where he hangs out!' I'm trying to finish dressing ASAP but fumble because I'm feeling fairly uncomfortable... Mind you, he's wrapped only in his towel and not AT ALL attactive to me.

He continues, 'SO, do they still mess around back here? I used to have a locker back here and we'd fuck around ALL the time. Well, until they started breaking into the lockers and all the thefts happened. We all moved back into the main room.'

I made a comment about that kind of stuff happening in the steamroom and sauna and he decided to take it a bit further, 'Come on! It's fun to watch and kind of exciting! I bet you'd be fun to see with a hard-on!' I grabbed my stuff and headed for the door.

I don't think ANYONE could re-create the shade of red I turned... I just said 'It's not that impressive.' and he continued, 'I bet you have a boyfriend.' 'Yup,' I said putting on my coat. 'The solid boys like you ALWAYS do.'

At that, I bolted out the door...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is: What does 'solid' mean? It's not used the same way 'husky' is used for kids, is it?

2 comments:

Chris said...

I would take solid meaning someone who has muscle. It could be someone who has some definition (not skinny or lanky), all the way up to a bodybuilder. Husky would be something different. I think Husky would be someone with a few extra pounds.

Moby said...

chris is right, he was giving you a compliment in his own way. next time, look him directly in the eye and say "well some of us have better things to do w/our free time" and stare him down.

guarantee ya he will never be so forward again. you have to be aggressive because if you slink away, they know you are a nice guy and will DO it again and again.

can't blame him though. I'd be checking you out too...course some of us have tact!