Monday, February 16, 2004

Okie Dokey...

For Valentines Day, I took Adam to see Jim Brickman and Friends at the Orpheum in Minneapolis. The deal was that he needed to make me dinner beforehand. I have to commend him. He actually had it all planned out, but I still ended up doing most of the cooking. Oh well, it's a gift!

We got to the concert and Adam got his wine served in a plastic cup and I got me some 'Heinekins' in a can! TRES CHIC! So, feeling incredibly rural, we headed down to our seats and begin checking out the rest of the crowd for their flaws. We located a low-end pimp, plenty of 'family', a 32 year old pretending he was 20, and many other fashion disasters. I attribute those to being so incredibly blinded by love that they couldn't pick out a matching pant/suit combination. Oh I HOPE that's the case...

Anyway... The Ordway is INCREDIBLE! They have done such a good job maintaining it and making it look great. Jim Brickman even complimented the city on having a nice place to perform in. He actually told us a story about how he was playing at the Fine Line when he first started out. It was pretty cool.

The concert was INCREDIBLE! However, I soon remembered why I didn't go to very many piano concerts. When those people play they look like FREAKS! He was leaning in, leaning back, flailing, and turning to smile at the audience (which reminded both Adam and I of Smeagol from Lord of the Rings). Imagine, if you will, Our friend Gollum tickling the ivories... he he he... go ahead, chuckle! The even have the same eye color...

He played with some other great people. Tracy Silverman stole the show! He is a electric violin player and after intermission he came out and played this Latin song. It had percussion (like tapping the body of the violin) in it and he used a loop sampler to capture that sound to accompany his playing. VERY COOL! Check him out... He's VERY good!

Jeff Timmons also joined Mr. Brickman that night. All I have to say is: at least he's pretty...

And I can't remember the chic's name who sang with him... She was ok... They've been friends since high-school and blah, blah, blah...

All in all, it was good. The couples around us were making comments and being witty, so it made the experience all the more enjoyable.

Check out Jim's music... it's awesome!

No comments: