Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Touching Base

Hey Everyone!

Sorry I've been away so long, but I've been working and they're locking down our internet and everything here at work.

Anyway... The Bad Puppies didn't go so well on the end of the season playoffs. We have our typical 3-4 innings of rough defense then come back and smack the SHIT out of the ball. It just wasn't enough in our last game. We ended up 2 runs short, but I was relieved that we were done.

I'm happy to take the reigns and set-up practices, go to the league meetings, make sure people know when to be where, put the line-ups together, collect tournament information, arrange room assignments for Milwaukee, make sure the team has bats and balls to practice/play with, makes sure the score is kept (thanks Will!!), do attendance, sit out so others can play, make sure we have enough jerseys for everyone, provide a cooler with water for the team, recruit players to compliment our existing ones, communicate with the treasurer with deadlines and stuff... But to some people, I just don't do enough.

Apparently handing off the 'fundraiser' piece to a group of competant people wasn't enough either. According to some, I needed to be there from the beginning, make sure things ran smoothly, solve any problems that arise and stick aroud to clean up afterward. All this and other players get to schlep beer and get the same amount of credit.

Ron has stepped up and really helped out with getting rooms set-aside in Milwaukee and making sure we have water and stuff at the fields. Thank you Ron!

I put this team together because no one else would do it. There were 4 players and a few fans who wanted to stick together, but I was the only one who would step-up and get it going. Trixie DID get us a GREAT sponsor tho! If I hadn't got the team going again this year, I'm not sure who would have.

Next year will be different. Next year we will not run the team 'by committee'. I won't solicit opinions from anyone; I'll just make the decision I see best for the team. I will play my best players and rotate in the rest. I WILL ACTUALLY PLAY (and not just bat)!!

1 comment:

No Milk Please said...

i quit softball because my limp wrist couldn't hold up the bat :(